Nexstar Media Group – Youngstown
Apply by: October 6, 2023
WKBN.com, the dominant news outlet in the Mahoning & Shenango Valleys, needs a Digital Content Developer/Reporter to focus exclusively on reporting for our local digital platforms: two websites and three mobile apps.
The Digital Content Developer/Reporter should be passionate about local news, innovative, focused on the mobile user, confident on camera, and full of creativity and initiative. This position will gather and present live and recorded video segments, along with written segments that will appear online, on mobile, and on social media. These segments will be original stories that break news, dig deeper into details of breaking stories, and uncover and discover enterprise topics exclusive to our digital platform.
The Digital Content Developer/Reporter is expected to function as a leader in the newsroom and to fight daily as a champion for our digital users. They will develop contacts, fact-check all stories, and demonstrate consistent execution of solid news judgment. This position works closely with our Digital, Promotions and News Departments.
The Youngstown area is halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh. You can enjoy a Browns or Steelers game after an hour drive in either direction. We’re home to amazing wineries and the largest city park in Ohio, Mill Creek Metroparks.
Job Summary: Research, writing, capturing visual content and editing video stories for our websites, mobile platforms, and social media.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Produce content for multiple digital platforms.
• Work with staff to enterprise and develop stories daily.
• Demonstrate compelling storytelling using dynamic video and stand-ups, creative graphics, and use of digital and social media platforms.
• Organize material, determine angle or emphasis, and write a story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
• Gather and verify information regarding stories through interviews, observation, and research.
• Knowledge of small tech and digital video equipment.
• Conflict management.
• Detail oriented.
• Demonstrate editorial judgment using knowledge of journalism ethics and libel laws.
• Strong on-camera reporting, writing, and technical skills.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in journalism preferred (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education) + (1) one year’s experience as a multi-platform journalist.
Please be sure to include a link to your work in your resume.
Training/Equipment: Digital camera equipment. Newsroom computer system. Video editing and transmitting equipment.
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: Position requires the operation of digital camera equipment, computer editing, and transport of equipment weighing up to 10 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel may be required. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record are required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://www.wkbn.com/about-us/work-for-us.
********* EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********