Nexstar Media Group – Youngstown
Apply by: July 28, 2023
WKBN 27 First News is looking for a passionate, capital “J” journalist to join our 4-hour local morning newscasts.
Our anchors are working journalists, who take an active role in newsgathering every day, across all screens, and platforms. This anchor must also be active on web, social media, and volunteer for community service projects.
27 First News is advocacy brand of journalism in Youngstown, Ohio. That means our work must serve our viewers, and the communities in which we live. Our anchors must demonstrate an understanding of the challenges, the heartaches, the injustices, and the successes, that people in our audience face every day.
We cover big city news in a small market.
This is an operation that believes in local news. We broadcast 11 hours a day of live news across three network affiliates (CBS, FOX and ABC) every weekday. We have won awards for our work including Murrow, Emmy, and AP recognition. The newscasts this position will anchor air on WKBN (CBS) and WYFX (FOX).
You get to live in a community with great food, great people and one of the largest city parks in the country. If you like to get outdoors before work, check out Mill Creek Metroparks. Youngstown is also midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You can be at a Browns or Steelers game in an hour. We’re neighbors to some of the best wineries in the Great Lakes region.
Make sure you include a link to your reel when you apply, and send us a note or cover letter explaining how you fit the skillset we need in our next anchor.
Job Summary: Deliver newscasts accurately, clearly and concisely and in an engaging manner. Write or rewrite scripts. Fill in as producer when needed. Anchor or report in the field as needed.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas. Gather and verify accurate information regarding articles through interviews, remark as well as research.
• Build network of sources who supply information that allows the Company to stay ahead of its competitors.
• Present compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots.
• Organize material and write articles based on the details and information obtained.
• Use various social platforms to give updates as well as news stories to the public.
• Solid vocal delivery, camera presence, and clear enunciation.
• Strong reporting skills.
• Understand importance of social media.
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
• Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree required (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education); plus (3) years television anchoring or reporting experience required.
Training/Equipment: Operate newsroom computer systems.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures. Some travel may be required. Position requires work on weekends and holidays.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
How to Apply
Apply online at http://www.wkbn.com/about-us/work-for-us.
********* EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********