University of Florida – Gainesville, FL
The University of Florida College of Journalism and Communications Innovation News Center (INC) seeks a Multimedia News Manager to teach students, produce news content, and provide innovative leadership to unique student immersion experiences.
News Managers of the INC must embrace our dual mission which is to prepare UF College of Journalism & Communications students for the workforce through instructional coursework and immersion experiences while serving the greater Gainesville community through high quality news, weather, sports and information content across existing and emerging multimedia platforms.
• Teach 12 credit hours per year between Spring, Summer and Fall semesters in the CJC that support INC operations.
• Teaching duties include creating/updating course syllabi, preparing lectures, training, scheduling, managing, grading, critiquing, coaching students, production of programs/content and video products/production and other expectations as required by relevant UF department chair.
• Monitor the development/production of various student content pieces to ensure they are accurate and meet commonly held industry standards for quality, ethics, tone, deadlines, etc.
• Oversee the work of student journalists –by copyediting, reviewing video/audio footage, coaching of on-air talent.
• Accompany student journalists in the field.
• Provide training for students in the operation of various pieces of newsroom, studio, control room and remote production equipment, and production procedures.
• Participate in professional development.
Producing News Content
• Help student and staff content creators find the best way to tell their stories across all platforms that is in line with our academic focus and community/editorial targets.
• Work closely with the News Director and other managers to execute the daily coverage plan and support newsroom students and staff.
• Assist with editorial/planning by taking an active role in ensuring content creation serves the community with timely/relevant impactful journalism.
• Produce newscasts, specials, programs and creating content in the studio and in the field for all platforms.
• Drafts, coordinates, organizes coverage plans for major events, elections, hurricanes, etc.
• Participate in and support breaking news coverage that impacts the community, public safety and emergency communication programming and efforts related to the Florida Public Radio Emergency Network.
• Work with the INC Director and other managers to establish newsroom goals, develop and grow news programs and brand; innovate and develop strategies to ensure our news products remain relevant and guarantee the immersion experiences are adequately preparing scholars for the workforce.
• Analyze data and analytics to help inform editorial decisions and share data with students/staff as part of editorial processes.
• Affirm innovative storytelling and producing techniques are being used to create multi-platform content.
• Lead development of innovative enhancements in production delivery.
Expected Salary: $60,000 annually
Minimum Requirements: Master’s degree in an appropriate area; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Demonstrated experience in community engagement and using social platforms for news gathering and dissemination for a news organization.
• Newsroom operating & planning systems (like ENPS, KLZ & AP Playbook)
• Adobe Creative Cloud suite of products including Adobe Premiere Pro
• Shooting on video cameras including professional camcorders (like Panasonic AVCcam), DSLRs, mobile phone kits, 360 cameras
• Content Management Systems (like WordPress, Grove)
• Live remote technology (like LiveU & Comrex)
• Social media apps (like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube)
• Social media publishing tools (like Social News Desk)
• Email Marketing Systems (like Mailchimp)
• Data analysis tools (like Google Analytics, Chartbeat, etc)
• Other newsroom tools (like Osmo, Mevo, Descript, LexisNexis, etc)
• Operating and using UAVs (FAA Part 107 licensed)
• Speaking conversational Spanish
Effective service as an Executive Producer or News Director and experience working in a blended/multiplatform news environment, and especially experience with broadcast & digital platforms.
About the Innovation New Center (INC):
The Innovation News Center (INC) is a state-of-the-art professional newsroom at the University of Florida (UF) College of Journalism and Communications (CJC), which is one of the top communication programs in the country. The INC, home of the College’s news, weather and sports operations, is a two-story, 14,000-square-foot facility providing hands-on learning opportunities for more than 400 students each semester. Students work alongside professionals to produce and edit content for seven media properties and companion digital platforms, including the local NPR, PBS and ESPN affiliates, as well as the Spanish-language news operation of Noticias and the Fresh Take Florida news service. All properties are housed at the College.
To learn more about the INC: https://www.jou.ufl.edu/home/main-immersion/inc/
About the College of Journalism and Communications:
The College of Journalism and Communications is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC) and is home to four departments – Advertising, Journalism, Public Relations, and Telecommunication. The college provides hands-on learning immersion experiences through the Innovation News Center, The Agency, Frank gatherings, the Division of Multimedia Properties, the Summer Media Institute, undergraduate research, various extracurricular groups and activities, etc. To learn more: https://www.jou.ufl.edu/this-is-cjc/
About the City of Gainesville:
Gainesville (http://cityofgainesville.org) is home to Florida’s largest and oldest university, and so is one of the state’s centers of education, medicine, cultural events and athletics. Additionally, the city owns a regional transit system, a regional airport, and a 72-par championship golf course. Known for its preservation of historic buildings and the beauty of its natural surroundings, Gainesville’s numerous parks, museums and lakes provide entertainment to thousands of visitors. Because of its beautiful landscape and urban “forest,” Gainesville is one of the most attractive cities in Florida.
Explore Gainesville in 60 Seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=e_7nUKAFanM&skip_registered_account_check=true
How to Apply
Apply online at https://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/en-us/job/526823/multimedia-news-manager.
Must submit cover letter, resume and list of professional references. Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty. We welcome nominations from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching and service mission including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.