WXIX wants a News Director who will recruit, lead, mentor, and develop the next generation of journalists while capitalizing on experienced veterans as well. We are looking for a dynamic news professional who excels with high expectations, passion, and dedication. The News Director will lead and manage news coverage for WXIX and our powerful group of digital and social platforms. Execute news strategies/develop strategic plan based on audience needs (or research-based audience needs) and successfully implement and track.
Duties/Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Work with Management team including the Assistant News Director, Executive Producers, and Digital Content Manager to initiate and manage well branded content
• Make editorial decisions on content
• Effectively communicate goals and plans for the newsroom and ensure those plans are carried out by all staff members
• Oversee, with the help of News Management, all Anchors/Reporters, MMJ’s, Producers, as well as Assignment Editors/Digital Content Producers on story enterprise, development and generate strong branded content.
• Execute Breaking News and Severe Weather coverage plans • Plan and execute “Big Story” coverage
• Hold all staff members accountable daily
• Conduct regular feedback sessions with all employees
• Participate in editorial and planning meetings
• Monitor newscasts and digital news coverage to ensure staff is meeting standards
• Maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Protect and defend journalistic integrity of the news product
• Ensure the news team follows best practices on all platforms
• Execute news strategies developed by news and station management
• Work well with all station departments/managers
• We are looking for Experience. 5 plus years in News Management a plus.
• Creativity and passion for news, leadership in teaching and coaching team members
• Ability to multi-task in high stress situations
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism preferred
• Knowledge and understanding in using various digital and social platforms
• Strong management, communication and people skills required to supervise and interact daily with staff and the community
• Proven leadership ability
• Exceptional organizational skills
• Enjoy a fast-paced environment with a desire to win
How to Apply
Qualified, interested applicants may go to https://gray.tv/careers#currentopenings, you may type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
As a condition of employment, Gray Television will require that newly hired employees, whether part-time or full-time, be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by the first workday to the extent permitted by applicable law unless you qualify for a medical or religious accommodation.