Presented by: Kevin Benz, Principal, KevinBenz.News
The best way to recruit the best talent is to create a newsroom no one wants to leave. Retention is the core of good recruiting and it takes a village to build a positive newsroom culture. Everyone in the newsroom is responsible for the culture of the newsroom, making what we do better and how we do it more efficient, and doing it all while supporting each other. Kevin will introduce you to some new ways of thinking about your own work in the newsroom, and outside it. How you can contribute to making your newsroom and yourself better. And how you can help retain your best and recruit better.
About the speaker: A University of Texas graduate, Kevin Benz began his career in broadcast journalism as a nationally recognized, award-winning news photographer, first at KTBC-TV in Austin, Texas, then WRAL-TV in Raleigh, North Carolina. He spent 8 years at KPRC-TV in Houston where he also worked as an MMJ. In 1999 Kevin launched News 8 Austin and spent over 11 years there as News Director.
Under his guidance News 8 Austin received national recognition with two Sigma Delta Chi awards, the National Edward R. Murrow award, three National Walter Cronkite awards for excellence in Political Journalism and was a finalist for the DuPont-Columbia Award.
Kevin is former Chairman of the Radio, Television, Digital News Foundation (formerly RTNDA); a Poynter Institute leadership fellow and visiting faculty member; a Carole Kneeland Project fellow, trainer, and member of their Board. He also served as Chairman of the Texas Associated Press Broadcaster’s board of directors and is a founder of the Southwest Broadcast Workshops.
This program is free for OAB members, but registration is required.
- Go to the registration page.
- Skip the My Information box.
- In the Registration Options box, change the quantity from 0 to 1. This will prompt more registration information to appear below.
- Enter promo code NASBA2022. As an OAB member, this will make the webinar free.
- After submitting your registration, you should receive an email confirmation from the Michigan Association of Broadcaster including the Zoom meeting link. If you do not receive the email, please check your spam folder or CONTACT US for assistance.